Learn First Aid
Do you know what to do in an emergency?
An accident or emergency – like a heart attack or an allergic reaction – can happen at any time. You can give first aid to help someone before medical help arrives. Taking action right away can help save a life.
Take these steps so you’ll be prepared for an emergency:
- Know when to call 911.
- Learn how to help someone who is choking.
- Take a class to learn first aid and CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation).
- Keep a first aid kit at home and in your car.
Plan ahead and be prepared for injuries and emergencies.
Know when to call 911.
Call 911 when you need help right away. Call 911 if someone is seriously hurt, stops breathing, or if there is a fire. Don’t call 911 for problems like a flat tire.
- Learn what to do when someone is choking.
When someone is choking on food or a small object, it’s important to act right away. Brain damage can happen just 4 to 6 minutes after someone has started choking.
Stand behind the person who is choking and press your fist against the person’s stomach to force out the food or object. This is called the Heimlich (“HIME-lik”) maneuver.
- Learn what to do when someone is bleeding.
Losing too much blood is very dangerous, and it can happen quickly. If someone is injured and bleeding badly, you can help stop the bleeding while you wait for medical help.
Take a first aid and CPR class.
Taking a class can teach you how to give first aid and CPR correctly. This training will prepare you to respond quickly and safely in emergencies.
- Learning first aid will help you know what to do for problems like burns, cuts, head injuries, and broken bones.
- Knowing CPR can help when someone’s heart or breathing has stopped. You give CPR by providing chest compressions – strong presses on the chest to keep blood flowing.
Keep a first aid kit at home and in your car.
A first aid kit has the things you need to treat someone who is hurt. It includes supplies like bandages, tape, and scissors. Keep one kit in your home and one in your car.
After you use your kit, remember to replace the supplies.